Sunday, January 20, 2008

Week Two - KINDNESS

This week's Scripture Challenge word was "Kindness."

I had to give this one some thought. I started with a trip to the Merriam-Webster dictionary to see what kindness really means. According to Merriam-Webster, kindness is:

  • having or showing a tender and considerate and helpful nature; used especially of persons and their behavior
  • the practice of being or the tendency to be sympathetic and compassionate.

Well, that to means means Jesus. He is all those things, and more.

The verses I chose were Heb. 2:17 - 18 -- Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.

There is no greater, more tender or compassionate act than His laying down His life for me. Kindness in action - He experienced real life - all the trials, temptations, hurts, disappointments, joy, and laughter that comes with this journey on planet Earth. Because of this, He can totally sympathize with EVERYTHING I go through. That, to me, is kindness. He understands - He cares - He makes intercession for me to the Father because He's been here - done that - and emerged victorious from it.

I'm not thrilled with it, but it's done.

No comments: