Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Words of hope for today's woman

Ok, I know that these lyrics aren't Scripture, but they make a good point. I, for one, often feel inadequate when measured against society's standard of beauty. I am constantly reminidng myself that GOD defines who I am - the standard to meet is HIS, not man's.

Anyhow, as I sit here at work, the song whose lyrics are listed below is playing and I am reminded again that who I am is not defined by what I see in the mirror. I am defined by God, and He tells me that I am precious in His sight, that He is enthralled with my beauty (found in my heart as I truly seek Him), and that He delights over me with singing (Zeph. 3:17). He loved me enough to let His Son die for me, while I was yet a sinner Christ died for me. Before I knew Him, before I was even a fleeting thought in my parents' mind, He knew me (Ps. 139:14-15) and knew the plans He had for me - plans to prosper and not harm me - to give me a future and a hope. (Jer. 29:11)

I am reminded again that beauty to God is found in my heart - a meek and gentle spirit and a life that bears much fruit to HIS glory, not my own. (I Pet. 3: 3-4)

God's standard is high - higher than the world's - yet it is far easily more attainable then man's, ironically enough. He has given me everything I need to live life well and to live life HIS way (II Pet. 1:3-10)

So, here's some inspiration for today:

"Mirror" by Barlow Girl

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Have I got it?
'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect
So sorry you won't define me
Sorry you don't own me

Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do
I won't try, I won't try

Mirror I am seeing a new reflection
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me
And to Him I have beauty beyond compare
I know He defines me

You don't define me, you don't define me

No comments: